Belfast hairdresser named as Northern Ireland Hairdresser of the Year at HJ’s British Hairdressing Awards 2018
Damien Johnston’s reputations as one best hairdressers in the country was confirmed last night (26th November 2018) after he was named Northern Ireland Hairdresser of the Year at HJ’s British Hairdressing Awards 2018, sponsored by Schwarzkopf Professional.
Damien from Pure Hair in Belfast claimed the title in front of 1,750 hairdressing greats alongside host and TV celebrity, Rylan Clark-Neale. The event, which saw guests celebrating into the early hours entertained by Scouting for Girls, was held at the Grosvenor House, a J W Marriott Hotel in London.
Damien was required to submit eight images of original hair work which was judged and awarded points for overall technical skill, creative vision and wearable, beautiful looks that pushed the boundaries of hair art. The judging took place over two sessions and included a panel of industry peers, members of the British beauty press and legends and past winners of the British Hairdressing Awards.
Commenting on the win, Jayne Lewis-Orr, executive director of the British Hairdressing Awards said; “For the past 34 years the British Hairdressing Awards have celebrated the very best talent, creativity and insight within our industry – and this year is no exception. I’d like to extend my warmest congratulations to Damien for demonstrating fantastic technical dexterity as evidenced in the collection he submitted, and also for being such a great ambassador for British hairdressing.
“This is an industry which serves a purpose far greater than many realise. There not only to push creativity to its limits and offer avenues for artistic expression; but also, to provide a service that makes people feel better about themselves. Stylists enable clients to present the best version of themselves, helping to bolster their confidence and well-being which is why, as an industry, it is one of a few to be saving the high street and bringing footfall back into Britain’s town centres.”
The British Hairdressing Awards, sponsored by Schwarzkopf Professional, celebrates the very best of British hairdressing – recognising and rewarding the creative talents of individuals and teams who make this industry one of which we can all be proud. Currently over 287,000 people work within the hairdressing, barbering and beauty industries**; contributing over £7bn to the UK economy each year.
“Sponsoring HJ's British Hairdressing Awards is an enormous privilege, and we at Schwarzkopf Professional are delighted that we can partner with HJ in supporting and recognising the very best hairdressing talent across the UK. Hairdressing is an industry of endless enthusiasm and creativity and nowhere is this more evident than in the entries for these awards. I am absolutely delighted for the winners as they represent the pinnacle of our industry – the absolute best." says Stuart Hamid, Schwarzkopf Professional General Manager, UK and Ireland.
On collecting the award, Damien said, “I am so happy to be a BHA winner. It feels like Christmas has come early – just so amazing. I’d like to thank everyone who has supported me for the past year. Thanks too to HJ and Schwarzkopf Professional for putting on such a great event – it has been an amazing night and Rylan was excellent.”
The British Hairdressing Awards have launched the careers of a host of household names: from John Freida and Nicky Clarke to TONI&GUY creative director Sacha Mascolo-Tarbuck, as well as TV favourites Lisa Shepherd and Andrew Barton.
The British Hairdressing Awards took place on 26th November 2018 at Grosvenor House Hotel, Park Lane, London. For further details please visit https://www.hji.co.uk/british-hairdressing-awards-sponsored-by-schwarzkopf-professional
For media enquires please contact Georgie Willock, LWPR on Georgie@lwpr.biz or 01858 419 668
** National Hairdressers’ Federation 2017
For more than 30 years, the British Hairdressing Awards have been the most coveted and sought-after titles in the hairdressing industry resulting in global recognition. Both regional and category specific awards are given to salons and hairdressers across the UK who show incredible skill, vision and talent through a collection of images. Winners were announced at a celebrity hosted ceremony on 26th November at the Grosvenor House Hotel, a J W Marriott Hotel in London’s prestigious Park Lane.
HJ’s British Hairdressing Awards 2018, sponsored by Schwarzkopf Professional
Specialist Category Winners
- Sally Brooks, Brooks & Brooks, London – British Hairdresser of the Year 2018
- Michelle Thompson, Francesco Group, Birmingham – Afro Hairdresser of the Year 2018
- Marc Antoni, Henley-on-Thames – Artistic Team of the Year 2018
- Sylvestre Finold, TONI&GUY, Wimbledon – Avant Garde Hairdresser of the Year 2018
- Desmond Murray, Atherton Cox, London – Men’s Hairdresser of the Year 2018
- Gianluca Caruso, TONI&GUY, London – Newcomer of the Year 2018
- Robert Eaton, Russell Eaton, Leeds – Schwarzkopf Professional British Colour Technician of the Year 2018
Regional Winners 2018
- Jessica Neil and Mary Geoghegan, KH Hair, Nottingham – Eastern Hairdresser of the Year 2018
- Philipp Haug, TONI&GUY, Sloan Square – London Hairdresser of the Year 2018
- Nicola Smyth, Nicola Smyth – Award Winning Hair, Leamington Spa – Midlands Hairdresser of the Year 2018
- Isobel Eaton and Jesse Jackson, Russell Eaton, Barnsley – North Eastern Hairdresser of the Year 2018
- Marcello Moccia and Karen Perry, Room97 Creative Hairdressing, Wakefield – North Western Hairdresser of the Year 2018
- Damien Johnston, Pure Hair, Belfast – Northern Ireland Hairdresser of the Year 2018
- Karen Thomson, KAM Hair & Body Spa, Lossiemouth – Scottish Hairdresser of the Year 2018
- Robert Masciave, Metropolis Hairdressing, Kingston Upon Thames – Southern Hairdresser of the Year
- Steven Smart, Smartest 73, Weston-Super-Mare – Wales & South West Hairdresser of the Year